Blade Building, 1926
Print features a Blade original photo of the historic Blade building at Orange St. and Superior St. as it was being built in 1925 — includes digitized authentic Blade nameplate from the original date, detail of Blade newspaper article announcing its ultimate completion, and caption text contextualizing the event.
To read caption text, click Additional Info below.
Caption Text on Print Reads:
Blade Building Construction
Downtown Toledo, 1926
The Block family bought the Toledo Blade newspaper from the Locke family in 1926. That same year, the present Blade building at 541 N. Superior was constructed. On May 1, 1927 the building was opened with great fanfare. President Calvin Coolidge touched a gold key in Washington, D.C. to start the new presses.