East Toledo Neighborhood House (1 of 2)

East Toledo Neighborhood House (1 of 2)

25.00

The East Toledo Neighborhood House was founded in 1901 by Reverend H.W. Hoover, a former pastor of the Memorial Baptist Church. Mr. Hoover and his wife provided services, including English language classes, cooking, and sewing lessons for the large immigrant population in the neighborhood. The Neighborhood House began as a tent on the property, before adjoining properties were added with the help of donations from several wealthy Toledo families.

Youth activities soon followed suit and today the House is known as the East Toledo Family Center and it still serves as an anchor for families — and physical activity outlet for youth — in East Toledo.

Here a “tumbling class” is shown in a photo dated Jan. 22, 1941. “Tumbling was one of the activities, along with boxing, wrestling, basketball, handicraft, etc. that was part of their routine physical activity.”

TOLEDO TIMES PHOTO FROM BLADE ARCHIVES


Available in a limited run of 25 as a 13x19 laser print on gorgeous, 216/gsm luster paper.

FOR OTHER SIZES, CLICK HERE

Quantity:
Add To Cart